Sunday, April 26, 2009

Thursday 4/23/09

After a new x-ray, I see the surgeon. We discuss alternatives. My left hip joint has continued to degenerate, and there is obvious femur bone loss. The surgeon has installed 6 or 7 Birmingham Hips, also known as 'resurfacing'. Early procedures had problems with upper femur fractures, but are better now. Metal-on-metal joint replacements have the least wear, but are thought to shed metal ions which may or may not cause cancer. The plastic-ceramic joint is low-wear and may last 20 years. That is my selection. The surgeon suggested that I not plan any big trips for a few months after the surgery. He recited a lot of disclaimers about all the options, and joint replacement in general.

Surgery is scheduled for 5/12/09. No waiting! The scheduler also arranges a required class and post-op appointments. I am required to have my dental work up-to-date, and get a pre-op physical from my family physician. I'm due for an annual physical anyway, but the clinic tells me the two exams can't be combined. After checking, it turns out there is time for both exams. Seems like double billing to me.

I am required to buy a $10 pack of special anti-bacterial cloths to use after my last shower before surgery. Sage 2% chlorhexidine gluconate cloths. "Non-sterile"?

No comments:

Post a Comment