Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Surgery Day 5/12/09

Did 10 reps of the hip exercises. Showered and wiped down with the Sage wipes. I'm looking forward to my allowed half cup of coffee before 8 AM.

The hospital called and asked if we could come in an hour early. So I went into pre-op at 12:35 PM. I was in the OR from 1:30 to 3:30 PM. Actual operating time was 65 minutes. There are prep and finishing tasks. I chose to have a spinal with sedation, rather than general anesthesia. That was a good choice. I was willing to stay awake, but I told them I got chatty with light sedation, so after the spinal, and after they got me comfortable on my side, I was out like a light until they woke me up at 3:30. I remember waking in the OR and being moved to the recovery room. By 5 PM, I had feeling in my legs again and could move both legs.

My evening meal was liquid, with toast. At 9 PM I got up and sat in a chair. At 9:30, with 2 helpers, I walked down the long hall and back. This is more complex than it sounds, because I still had 3 tubes. Called home to report.

Watched the news and the 14th to last Leno.

This is so cool! They let me sleep, undisturbed, from 11 PM until 5:30 AM. ALL the people at Methodist were so kind.

2 comments:

  1. Dale came out of surgery at 2:35 pm and was out of recovery by 5pm. He is doing great and already trying to talk the doctors into letting him leave early.
    -Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dale was sitting up in a chair by 9pm and able to walk down the hall at 9:30pm.
    -Laura

    ReplyDelete